Friday, April 2, 2010

Weeks 11 & 12

Sorry we haven't written in a while, things have been crazy around here recently. Let's see...we had a group from Ozark Academy come down for their spring break. The poor kids were a little bit shocked to find out that they would be taking bucket showers and using an outhouse, but they got used to it after the first few days. When they first arrived we heard nothing but complaining. I asked one of the girls how she liked Peru and she said, "It's nice. Except I don't like the bugs. Or the heat. Or the humidity. And I don't like taking bucket showers or working in the field." Welcome to Peru, haha.

Before the high schoolers arrived we decided to play a little prank on them. Our cook, Jose is from the Dominican Republic originally but grew up in New York and goes to Southern. He decided to pretend not to speak any English. Whenever the kids wanted to say something to Jose we would have to translate for them. They all had to help him out with the cooking and it was hilarious hearing them try and communicate with him. They literally knew zero spanish. Jose said to one of the girls, "Cual es tu nombre?" and she looked at him blankly and said "I don't speak spanish." Then Jose was like "Tu nombre. Mi nombre es Jose. Cual es tu nombre?" and she still had no idea. I don't know what they're teaching those kids in Arkansas, but Spanish certainly is not in the curriculum. Each day Jose would speak some English to one of the kids to see if they would notice but they never caught on. He talked to one of them in English for a full 2 minutes at one point and then switched back to Spanish without him noticing. Finally after about 3 days Jose announced at dinner time, "I speak English perfectly." The kids just looked at him and said, "Who taught him how to say that?" It took a while for them to actually believe that he spoke English and a lot of them were mad that we had tricked them. But it was a lot of fun for us and it gave me good practice with translating.

After the Ozark kids left, we had a week-long medical/dental clinic at kilometer 8. A group from Eastern Virginia Medical School came down to help us out. A group of them were working on getting their MPH and as part of the program they had to get experience with community mapping. So during the day a group would go out into the community and do a survey, finding out where people get their water from, how many kids they have, etc. Not sure what they are going to do with the information once they get back to the States, but they seemed to think that the information was pretty important. There were 4 medical students, 3rd-year resident, and a doctor that came with the group as well. Since we had so much extra help we were able to see 1066 patients in 6 days. It was a mad house! People would start lining up outside the church where we were having the clinic at 4 am. At 6:30 we started registration. I got stuck doing registration this clinic. Not a fun job at all, especially when you have to turn people away who have been waiting in line for hours.

Once registration was over, I helped out with getting the heights and weights of all the kids under 6 and the blood pressure of adults over 20. Then I worked in the pharmacy filling prescriptions and giving shots and talking to the patients about each of the medicines. It's exhausting, but really good practice. Then around 12:30 I had to start afternoon registration and do everything all over again. It was pretty much non-stop from 6:30 am to 6:00 pm every day. Craziness! I got to help the doctor out with removing a growth on this girls ear and with a circumcision. I don't think that urology will be a field I'm interested in. Sorry, dad!

Brett was on the dental team and they had their hands full as well. They saw almost 230 patients and between Brett and this other guy named Colt, they pulled almost 190 teeth! The other two guys on the dental team did fillings. Brett's last patient of the week turned out to be a nightmare. He numbed her all up and started pulling and her jaw came out of socket. Once Brett realized this he stopped and it popped back into place. He didn't want to continue and was going to send her home, but the doctor wanted to pull it out for some reason. So he had one of the guys hold this poor womans jaw out of socket while he pulled the tooth out. While he was pulling, the woman actually fainted. I don't know if it was from pain or what, but she was out cold. So we had to give her an IV shot for pain and then she just lay there for about an hour while we packed everything up. Then we drove her home and dropped her off with a bag full of Tylenol. Needless to say, I definitely will not be having any dental work done while in Peru.

Anyway, things are pretty much wrapping up here. We have one more clinic and then we leave to travel around for about 10 days before heading back to the good ole US of A. Hope everything is well at home. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. Hola, Julie! I've enjoyed your blogging all these weeks! You and Brett have done a great job of keeping us involved in your life in Peru. The GBA staff prays for you every day, and I pray on my own as well. I'm glad you have had this chance to preach and teach and otherwise minister to the people in Peru. It's a wonderful thing you are doing!

    I look forward to your homecoming. I can't wait to see all your pictures (I hope you take lots when you go sight-seeing. Take lots of scenary, not just of the two of you!!!)

    I imagine your Spanish got pretty good. It's satisfying to actually be able to use the language you've learned, isn't it?

    Things have been hectic here at school. We still have two weeks before spring break and I can honestly say I've never needed it more. Papa Alfred and Grandma Nona are going to come help me strip wallpaper and paint my study. Finally!

    Sunday night we're going to Mary Lou's Memorial service. Should be amazing, with many of her musician friends there playing and speaking. Laurie and Ray are already here, but I won't see them until the service. It will be nice to see them.

    Well, I hope you have a special Easter weekend. It's beautiful here. Take care of each other...

    Love you!
    Rondi

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so wonderful to finally hear from you again! We are looking forward to seeing you in May.
    I graduated from Ozark Academy (before the OAA students' parents were born, I am sure). I took Spanish from a former missionary to Cuba and believe me, we learned conversational Spanish. You would never know it now.
    Papa A. sends his love with mine to you and Brett. Grandma Nona

    ReplyDelete