Friday, April 2, 2010

Week 13

This week has been a pretty chill week after the hectic week of clinic we just came off of. This has been pretty much a preparing week for the next mecical campaign down the river. I worked 3 days with the manual labor guys hauling wood out of the jungle again. It was actually pretty nice to get back to this sort of work. I was pretty tired dealing with so many patients every day. I was definitely ready to back to some manual labor with the guys.

Julie has been helping the other nurses prepare the pharmacy for the upcoming clinic. I think she made cotton balls and gauze or something like that. She also made packages for mini surgeries that the doctor will do in the upcoming clinic. Neither of us had hard work this week. It was very relaxing and the perfect way to spend the week before we start another clinic.

This week is also Semana Santa, also known as Easter. We had nightly meetings for the kids at Santa Elvita. Once again, I had to give the opening sermon for the series. The topic was about forgiveness and how Jesus could still forgive those who were persectuing him while on the cross. The kids attention span isn't the greatest, so you have to go over the points pretty quickly. I think the kids are becoming better listeners though. I hope they get a little bit out of our messages, but I'll never know until heaven. It's been fun being able to preach, but I'm definitely not a future David Asscherick or anything. I don't get nervous at public speaking, and my spanish is comfortable enough where I don't need to prepare that much anymore, so all those things help me to be able to give an effective sermon (I hope).

Anyways, we leave for Inahuaya tomorrow. The boat ride takes about 20 hours, so that should be interesting. Once we're there, the group will split into to 2 groups: one bigger, more stationary unit, and a smaller more mobil unit. I chose to be on the smaller travel team and Julie decided to stay with the big group. There are supposed to be a lot of adventures this upcoming week and I'm really excited to be able to get out there and do something different. Hopefully it will be an amazing way to end my stay here as a student missionary.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like an outstanding way to end your student missionary days! Take good pictures and get ready to share them with us when you get back!
    Stay safe until then--we pray for you every day.

    ReplyDelete